Data recovery
Anthony Thomas
2006-10-16 17:33:35 UTC
This is my first email to the group.
I used Norton ghost to duplicate a hard drive,
unfortunately overwrote the wrong drive.
I have accidently lost the contents of a hard drive
containing my files.
I have tried to recover the data with no success using
windows based recovery software.
Does anyone know of a good linux data recovery
application to get my files back?

Anthony Thomas B.Sc Design Technology with Qualified Teaching Status.
Visit my Website! www.gekocomputers.co.uk ***@yahoo.co.uk Mobile Telephone: 07811-877669 See the Website for Useful Software and Links.
24 hours-a-day, 8 days-a-week.
* Assistance in Computer Tuition/Training.
* Computer Building, Repairs and Upgrades.
* Networking (hard wired), Wireless Networking.
* Web Site Design, Maintenance and Promotion.
NEW!! Buy a Domain Name and get Free Hosting for Life!!
* MP3/Digital Sound Recording (MIDI).
* Digital Photography/Scanners.
* Broadband, ADSL, Video and DVD Recording.
* Newsgroups and Downloading Music, Films and Software etc.
* FREE Antivirus and Firewall.
* Fighting Spam, Spyware, Spybot, Hijackers, Adware, Malware, Keyloggers, Worms, Hacker Tools, PC Parasites, Trojan Horses, Spy Programs, Trackware, Spoofing and Phishing.
* Voice Over Internet Protocol (V.O.I.P.) Skype
* Numerous Testimonials/References available on request.
Tell your friends!
Vladimir Jakubovskij
2006-10-16 18:43:22 UTC
could u just give more details: filesystems types at least.

On 10/16/06, Anthony Thomas <***@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> This is my first email to the group.
> I used Norton ghost to duplicate a hard drive,
> unfortunately overwrote the wrong drive.
> I have accidently lost the contents of a hard drive
> containing my files.
> I have tried to recover the data with no success using
> windows based recovery software.
> Does anyone know of a good linux data recovery
> application to get my files back?
>
> Anthony Thomas B.Sc Design Technology with Qualified Teaching Status.
> Visit my Website! www.gekocomputers.co.uk ***@yahoo.co.ukMobile Telephone: 07811-877669 See the Website for Useful Software and
> Links.
> 24 hours-a-day, 8 days-a-week.
> * Assistance in Computer Tuition/Training.
> * Computer Building, Repairs and Upgrades.
> * Networking (hard wired), Wireless Networking.
> * Web Site Design, Maintenance and Promotion.
> NEW!! Buy a Domain Name and get Free Hosting for Life!!
> * MP3/Digital Sound Recording (MIDI).
> * Digital Photography/Scanners.
> * Broadband, ADSL, Video and DVD Recording.
> * Newsgroups and Downloading Music, Films and Software etc.
> * FREE Antivirus and Firewall.
> * Fighting Spam, Spyware, Spybot, Hijackers, Adware, Malware,
> Keyloggers, Worms, Hacker Tools, PC Parasites, Trojan Horses, Spy
> Programs, Trackware, Spoofing and Phishing.
> * Voice Over Internet Protocol (V.O.I.P.) Skype
> * Numerous Testimonials/References available on request.
> Tell your friends!

bandpage: http://www.soundlift.com/requiemaeternum
homepage:http://public.fotki.com/vovka661/
blog: http://vovka-j.livejournal.com/
tel.:+447901616450
jabber: ***@jabber.org
skype: vladimir_jakubovskij
icq uin: 153388353
Anthony Thomas
2006-10-16 18:55:34 UTC
NTFS
--- Vladimir Jakubovskij

Tell your friends!
Dave Brotherstone
2006-10-16 21:00:17 UTC
Anthony,
If you've written a disk image onto another disk, unless you are
incredibly lucky, you will have overwritten your old files. This is
because files are typically written at the beginning of the disk, so
unless the image you wrote was much smaller than the disk you wrote it
to, then you've lost the beginning of the disk. If, however, your
image was much smaller than the actual disk you wrote to, then you
might be in luck for the files that were in the later part of the
original disk. NTFS stores a copy of the master file table in (I
think, from memory), the logical middle of the disk, as well as at the
beginning. Obviously the one at the beginning has been overwritten,
but the one in the middle may still be there. I think it's also held
at the end of the disk for some versions of NTFS, but I can't just
remember off the top of my head. A "normal" file scanner should be
able to extract the files from this sort of accident.

When my NTFS disk corrupted, and it wasn't a bad corruption, I didn't
have any success with any file retrieval software. My only saving
grace was I knew what files were on there, and they were mostly the
same type, so I could scan the disk for the magic number at the start
of the file, follow the file format to get the length of the file, and
then copy that block out to a new file. Obviously if the disk has
been used for a while, and hence you've got fragmented files, or
you've got a whole mix of files you need back, then this method won't
work.

All I can say is, good luck!

Cheers,
Dave.

Anthony Thomas
2006-10-16 21:44:30 UTC
Thanks for your advice, Ill put it down to a valuable
lesson learnt.
Its ironic that only last week I was telling someone
who lost years of accounts that they shud be making
backups and also not using floppy disks!!

Tony

Tell your friends!
Vladimir Jakubovskij
2006-10-16 22:31:21 UTC
hello, anthony!
restoring NTFS partitions is not likely a job for a program that would run
on linux (exclusively). though fast search on google.com/linux search for
'NTFS data recovery' keywords gave back some results, one of which - Stellar
Pheonix Linux might be an option.
anyway it's a tough job you would be facing.

good luck!

p.s. if you are lucky with a *linux-based* solution particulary you could
write to a mailing list then to let the community know, you know =)))
masakad0
2006-10-18 10:57:11 UTC
I have a disc called Auditor that I am hoping to recover some NTFS information via forensic incident tools.. I can let you know how I get on...

Omar Baqueiro Espinosa
2006-10-18 11:10:29 UTC
Hello,

I remember recovering a lot of informaiton from a formatted disk (which
then had a new OS installed) with a software called "GetDataBack". It
works on NTFS but it is not free software (in any sense) although it
seems it is no too expensive ($80 US).

I used it about 5 years ago, I dont know if it is still as good as it
was but hey you could give it a try:

http://www.runtime.org

HTH.

Omar

Vladimir Jakubovskij
2006-10-18 15:21:30 UTC
i would like to emphasize, that this is a linux users group mailing list.
so if the software is not for linux (does not matter if it is not free as in
beer or as in freedom) it is a topic for discussion in NTFS data recovery
mailing list.

have a nice day!

icq uin: 153388353
Anthony Thomas
2006-10-18 20:04:46 UTC
Ok understood.
I am always telling windows users that there is/will
be a better system than windows.
But it would be useful to be able to recover data
using a linux system.
Im just getting into Ubuntu and am amazed how much
better it is!
I need to come along to a meeting and ask some
questions.
Ive got to say the response to my need for help is
brilliant, thanks for all the time those members spent
on trying to help me. Ill see you right for a pint!
Tony
--- Vladimir Jakubovskij

Tell your friends!
Vladimir Jakubovskij
2006-10-18 20:16:07 UTC
> Ive got to say the response to my need for help is
> brilliant,

there would always be more